When you’re smiling
An active-living project using the arts to promote the wellbeing of very frail, elderly people living in an enhanced sheltered housing scheme in Canterbury, Cranmer House.
- February 2014 – 2015: 11 month project
- Funded by the NHS Canterbury and Coastal CCG’s Community Fund supported by East Kent Housing
- To promote active living through an arts programme delivered through ‘Big Fish’- an arts charity
The essence of the project: to broaden residents’ appetite and engagement in events at Cranmer House, for their own pleasure, fun, mental and physical wellbeing as well as to promote self-esteem.
The overall programme: designing and creating a series of linked participatory events to
- offer opportunities co-created with their residents’ committee for 28 residents
- something to plan and ‘look forward to’, building from one session to the next
- revive memories, interests, hobbies and to try out new things
- get to know each other better and invite in neighbours to make new friends